For master's programs that are taught in English and all PhD programs (in English and Turkish), evidence of English language ability is required. If you do not have a valid English language qualification that meets the EMU requirements presented in the table below, your level will be assessed by examination at EMU.
Based on this assessment, one of the following will apply:
- you will be exempt from the English Language Support Program and begin your postgraduate study directly;
- you will study English courses together with graduate program courses;
- you will study intensive English courses first (with no graduate program courses) before you start your graduate program.
The table below shows the English Language Tests recognized by EMU and the minimum scores required for exemption from English language courses. However, some graduate programs such as the Department of English Language Teaching (ELT) apply a higher scale regarding English language exemption. Prospective students are advised to contact the relevant academic department for further additional rules and regulations
PTE Academic (PTE-A)
EMU FLEPS English Language Stage II Exam
FLEPS: Foreign Languages and English Preparatory School
According to a decision taken by the Student Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM) on 14.02.2014, IELTS test scores cannot be used for exemption by Turkish citizens.
Other Special Conditions
- Candidates who have graduated from an EMU English medium postgraduate program within the last two years and who apply for another English medium master's or doctoral degree program do not need to submit evidence of English language ability and are exempt from all English language courses.
- EMU Proficiency Test scores and completed English language courses are valid for two years and can be transferred to other EMU graduate degree programs within this period.
- Applicants who are citizens of countries where the official language is English are exempt from English language courses on condition that they obtained their undergraduate or graduate degrees from an English-medium higher education institution.
- Applicants who are not citizens of countries where the official language is English but have obtained their undergraduate degrees from an English medium institution of higher education in a country where the official language is English are exempt from the English language test.
- Applicants who are not citizens of countries where the official language is English but have obtained their postgraduate degree from an English medium institution of higher education in a country where the official language is English are exempt from the English language test if they apply within two years of their graduation.
- For programs where the language of instruction is not English, English language requirements are determined by the Institute Board.